Friday, September 22, 2006

My Birth Father

I've talked a lot about my birth mother and not much about my birth father. So I dedicate this post to the best man in my life.

I found my Dad in the spring of 1999 through Classmates.com ... an awesome sight for reunions. I have found so much through them, its worth the cost of the membership for everything they have given me. When you find someone you know, you write them a note and Classmates.com will send it in an email to that person for you. In the subject line, I put the name of my birth mother. I knew if he were the person I was looking for, he would write back. And he did, very enthusiatically ... no denying it Dad, I still have the emails. I used a little trickery to find out if he was actually the person I was looking for. As soon as I figured out he was my birth father, I told him who I was.

There was no apparent shock, no question in his mind (at least not towards me) ... he welcomed me into his life immediately. He called me all the time, which I just loved. We got to know each other pretty well when we decided to meet.

My daughter and I spent five days in Texas with him and his now wife. I never had a father in my life, and it was a bit different for me. But he was wonderful ... he treated me like a queen.

He has never been hesitant about his paternity. He never asked "are you sure?" We did finally have a paternity test about a year after I went to Texas, and he is definately my Dad.

He told me about the times that he and my birth mother had together. It was very nice to hear him talk about her in such a nice manner, I can tell he really loved her.

So when I called him to tell him that I found my birth mother, he was so very happy for me. I think he likes reminiscing about her, his memories are sweet.

Thank you Dad, for giving me the gift of life and for being my Dad ... I love you

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Your father sounds like a stand up guy... I am so glad that you found him.

Now, I want to answer your question here (you need email, woman!) but Blogger won't let me post a HTML code... email me at:

evablogmail@yahoo.com and I will reply with the code!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger jessie200 said...

Melissa,
What a georgous post, so many people have bitter or whiney posts about their family, but to read your last few posts has been a privilidge (I can't spell today!). You didn't say, did your Mum call? Jessica

Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:11:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Jessica ... no my mom didn't call me back :-( ... my brother can't seem to get a hold of her either. I may try today ...

I'm going to check out your blog today ... I didn't even think of going there, how rude of me!!!

... melissa a

Monday, September 25, 2006 5:34:00 AM  
Blogger Jennefer said...

What a beautiful story. I am so glad when I hear stories like that. My cousin searched for his birth mom for a long time- when he finally found her she wouldn't talk to him or see him. It really hurt him- he was devastated. Thanks for sharing.

Monday, September 25, 2006 3:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home