Friday, September 01, 2006

Discouraging news

I live in a small remote town, and we've had problems keeping doctors at our medical clinic. For almost a year, there was one doctor and it would take months to get an appointment. My doctor left the clinic and opened his own clinic. However, there was this stipulation that he had to wait three months before he could start his practice. He finally opened his practice and things were good. Today, I get a letter in the mail.

*****

Dear Friends and Patients,

Thank you for your patronage and support for me in my clinic over the past few months. I've enjoyed working with you here at the ***** medical building and I had hoped to be able to build a successful, thriving practice here. Unfortunatley, the business has not grown as I would have liked and now it is time to make some very difficult decisions.

I have been offered a contract to work for the government as a civilian physician on a military base. Our nations' ongoing military efforts has meant that many of our military personnel -- including military doctors-- are now deployed to overseas areas and the government is hiring civilian doctors to fill in for the military physicians who are now deployed. This is an attractive and lucrative offer and one that I can't pass up at this time.

I will be available to treat your medical needs until September 6th and I will be available by phone to tie up any loose ends after that. If you need to reach me after September 6th, please talk to .....

Once again, thanks, and I will miss all of you.

*****

My appointment WAS for the 5th, so I am cancelling that. I need a doctor for the duration of my journey. Although I know he needs to provide for his family and I'm happy for him, I sure feel like I'm being abandoned.

So now I have to establish myself as a patient with some new doctor in town. One that I haven't seen before, and I am kind of upset about this. He doesn't know me, he doesn't know that I'm not some fat slob taking the easy way out. My doctor knew me, knew I wasn't just sitting around eating bon bons (I actually don't like those).

My new appointment is September 19th, which sets my whole process back a couple weeks. Wish me luck with my new doctor ... I hope he can fulfill my needs.

SIDE BAR:

Okay, I'm getting some hits from people I don't know from other places ... please leave a comment and let me know who you are and how you were directed to my blog. I haven't gotten many comments yet, and its like getting a package in the mail when I get one.

2 Comments:

Blogger jessie200 said...

Hi Melissa,

Just a quick note to let you know that I enjoyed reading through your blog today (I read it all actually), I found you via Holly's website, and I am pleased to hear your story.
My blog is incomplete (I am terrible at updating, I prefer to hear from others). I look forward to hearing about your appointment with the doctor.

On a note other than this, I am not sure if you have looked into this already, but in Australia they do have what you call gastric bypass surgery, but it is referred to as gastric banding surgery, it is where a small elastic band is placed over part of your stomach via laproscopy, there is alot less risk and side effects and it is much less invasive. You should take some time to research this type of surgery, as I beleive that this is now the preferred choice for surgeons in Australia over the conventional methods that are still used in the US. (My father is a surgeon in Australia, he has just returned from thr US after 10 year and he mentioned this to me the other day)

Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:48:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Jessie,

We call it Lap Band here. I'm familiar with it. However, you have to have a fill adjusted to your needs on a regular basis. I live in a small remote town, and it just isn't feesible to take a 6 hour round trip to keep getting mine adjusted.

I'm hoping I can have a lap RNY instead of open and that will be the less invasive method of that type of surgery.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

Wow ... I haven't had this blog a month yet, and someone from Australia has read it. How exciting is that !!! I hope you keep reading Jessie, as there is much more to come.

... melissa

Monday, September 04, 2006 4:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home