Sunday, September 17, 2006

She promised new posts ... but there are no new posts

I know I promised all I have written that I am giving to my doctor. I still may, however the steam is out of my sails for now. I need to sit back and regroup for a bit, and then maybe you'll see into the depths of my soul again. For now though, I think I need to take a break from all this brutal honesty. It wouldn't be so bad, but a lot of these things, I just started saying to myself ... much less the internet community.

So, for now ... we are talking raccoons !!! For those who don't know, we had two raccoons named Frick and Frack. They came around every week or so to ask for food. I was sooo resistant at first ... but how can you refuse such adorable faces !!! Well, Frack disappeared and Frick was the only one coming around. So my daughter wanted to change the lone coonies name to Izzy.

Izzy came around every few days and I started to get worried that she wasn't taking the time to forage for herself so I stopped feeding her. Well, did I get kicked in the face with that one cuz she showed up with Dizzy ... who couldn't have been more than 8 weeks old. So of course I'm feeding Izzy, she's got a baby to feed. Dizzy was so cute trying to balance on his hind feet while eating with his front.

About a month later ... Izzy and Dizzy brought Lizzy, Tizzy and Bizzy. WOW !!! We started feeding all of them ... how could you refuse such cute mini faces !!!

So a few days ago I found Gizzy (like Gizmo) ... there were FIVE babies. Wow ... what a treat.

My intelligent side (which is small by comparison to these raccoons) told me to not feed them everytime they showed up. They were asking for food just about every day by now. That created two thought process ... one) Izzy isn't showing them how to forage, and thats very important, cuz I'm not feeding these guys everyday for the rest of their lives. And 2) Izzy had 5 raccoons ... what if each of these raccoons had 5 raccoons, and each of those 5 raccoons had 5 raccoons ... how many raccoons will I be feeding in 5 years time???

Okay, you don't have to do the math ... all the variables aren't there anyways. But you get my point.

I did real well with my plan ... they weren't fed for two days. They weren't supposed to be fed last night either. However, I had my kitchen window open. My kitchen window is drawn by gravity, so I must put something under the window to brace it open ... about a two inch opening.

I was cooking dinner when I turn around and there are little babies staring through my window. How could I resist !!! They were so cute !!! So I put little tiny piles of food on my window sill. Now some may think this is over the top, and I guess I do too. But it was fun for the time being.

Those faces ...

That's what sticks out at me the most I think. They have so many expressions, but only one. There isn't much movement to them at all. They have the fed me, I'm pathetic and starving look. They have the inquisitive look. They have a shocked look. They have a beat feet look. All with one expression.

Each one has their own personalities. There are two smallest raccoons ... one is very timid, the other one is more aggressive, but still intimidated by the biggest two raccoons. The biggest two raccoons are pretty aggressive. They will even push Izzy aside and won't let her eat. The middle one has the middle child syndrome. I'm not kidding. It is off on its own and belongs to no group except momma.

Enough on coonies for now ...

Maybe next time we'll take about our bears ...

or worse ...

The DEER ...

I fear the deer more than the bear ...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who could resist babies? Pretty soon your going to be known as the local "Racoon Lady". I'll be seeing your story on NW Cable News!

I want to hear about the deer. I've heard they can be very agressive. Who would of thought?

Sunday, September 17, 2006 5:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Momma, I'm your own daughter and you have not told me anything about a deer. I know about the bear though... that one is funny... kinda, yup. Funny. I don't know you but HI HOLLY!!!

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home