Thursday, May 03, 2007

The 70's

The 70's is the decade that I became aware of my surroundings and realized there was a lot more out there than my little world. I went to summer camp and California alternating summers. I spent a lot of time outdoors during the summer, taking in the sights and sounds. I could hear stereos blaring from peoples homes or cars that they were working on. Or I would stay up late nights with my small AM radio and tune in far away radio stations. So many songs of the 70's stick out in my mind, and I can remember when I heard it, where I was and what I was doing with most of the songs. If I can't remember when, where and what ... I can remember the feelings I had from the feelings the song creates in me. I know I'm sounding weird now, but this is what music is/was/always has been for me.

I am going to post a few 70's songs that stick out in my mind and create strong memories for me over the next week or so. I will try to relay the memories as best I can.

It was the summer of 77. The place: Camp Orkila (the best camp in the world). It was set in a woodsy area on hundreds of acres of land. There were so many things to do there. Archery, Riflery, Pottery, Wood Shop, boating, canoeing, swimming ... you name it, it was done there. Camp Orkila was based on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands, Puget Sound, Washington. We would excursion to different satellite islands and stay a few days under the stars. If it rained, we tied a tarp to trees and slept under those. Back at the camp, there was a huge mess hall, a place where campfires were held everynight, a general store where you would by things with the money they held for you.

It was a lonely day for me, I didn't have many friends that year. I walked around the camp looking for someone to hang with and finally decided, I liked just walking around, looking at all the sights, smelling all the woodsy smells, ect. Today I was focusing on the smells. My walk ended up at the general store where I would buy red licorice and beef jerky. I opened the door and walked in, and all I could smell was the red licorice and beef jerky. Everytime I walked in there, thats all I ever smelled. The guy that was running the store was nice, and we talked for a long time. The radio was playing in the background and he started singing to it. I thought it was a really cool song. I remember that day fondly.

I didn't learn until I was much older that this song was making a statement. I just thought it was cool.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home