Thursday, April 19, 2007

My First Love

When I was 7 years old, we moved to Seattle. We lived on Queen Anne Hill in a house that overlooked the Seattle Waterfront, the Seattle Center and Downtown Seattle. This beautiful house was built in the 1940's, had a huge bay window, it was two stories and had a basement that was creepy to a 7 year old and an attic that made strange noises at night. I loved that house.

We had just moved north from California, and I was told to expect a lot of rain. I remember the day we arrived in Seattle. It was a beautiful day, about 80 degrees and I was thinking they were lying to me. Just like California, Seattle was HOT, and summer had just started.

It was a nice summer, full of fun, friends, camp and lots of activities. My adoptive mother (J) was a single, so she had to work. When school started in the fall, I remember the three of us,(J), my adoptive brother and I getting ready for our day. (J) would always put a record on and we either listened to the Carpenters or Simon and Garfunkel. There was a third one too, but for some reason, that album escapes my memory.

I learned every song by memory, and to this day, those songs have probably the most free flowing lyrics I know. From that time on, I started listening to music and expanding my horizon.

People who know me, know that music is a HUGE part of me. I used it as an escape when I was a kid, going to my room and listening to whatever was popular at the time. It was my friend, sometimes it would make me cry, but most of the time I wanted to sing and dance to it. I still see music in the same way.

When I was a teen, they used to have a magazine that had all the lyrics of popular songs. If I couldn't find the lyrics, I would listen to a song endlessly until I had the lyrics written down. I now have a computer and Windows Media Player, so writing the lyrics is much easier.

I guess you've probably realized that the title of my post, my first love, is about music. I watch at least one music video a night on my computer. YouTube has an awesome variety.

So I've come to a decision. Everytime I look up another video, I'll add it to my blog. If there is some sort of memory attached to the song, you will be forced to read my boring diatribe. (not really, but it sounded good)

There will be no particular order for any of the music I will post, it will be random. I thought about what I wanted to post as my very first one. I thought it would be fitting to post one from when I fell in love with music.

My tribute to Karen ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home