Monday, April 23, 2007

WEIGHT ...

I wrote that in big letters today because it is big. Its weighing heavy on a lot of peoples minds lately. I had a comment recently that asked why I haven't talked about weight, so this blog is going to be 100% about it. No Jessie, I will not divulge what I weigh, it is hard to put it down, because it makes it more in my face. I will say I am over 200 lbs. I do not know what that is in kgs, sorry. Last time I checked, my body fat percentage was 41%. I have diabetes, tachycardia, gerd and a few other co-morbidities. (I have a few new readers, so I am doing an update for those who haven't read my entire blog)

I would like to say I eat right and exercise daily, but that would be a lie. Its hard to keep it up all the time. The weight comes off so frustratingly slow that its hard to keep it up for any length of time, then it all comes back. Can anyone say Yo-Yo.

However ... one of the blogs that I lurk at brought this same subject up so I thought I'd elaborate on the subject a bit. She was down because she felt the first sting of people noticing that she's bigger than she used to be. We've all been there, and its not a pleasant feeling. The following is an exerpt of the comment I left on her blog.

"I have found, after 13 years, that you can fight it [the weight], but at the same time, you have to accept it or you go into a depression. What they say is true, you have to like yourself for who you are. Once you do that, then others will too. Its been a long time in coming for me, but I like me. I don't like the fat, but that is what I'm wearing, its not me."

My insurance company is giving me the run around right now, and that is frustrating. I am doubting whether WLS is the right move for me or not. Maybe its nerves or maybe its not the right move. I don't know, but I think I'm okay with the insurance company being like this for now. I need to decide for myself how this is going to play out. One of my very best friends is starting the process of WLS, she has her first consult soon. Although I wanted to go through this with her together, I also want to see how hers plays out too. Okay ... I'm chicken shit, I'll admit that.

This is a HUGE deal, the WLS. They alter your stomach so it works differently, and in turn, everything else works differently too. You have no choice but to change what and how you eat, which is what I want, but it will be difficult. You have a year to make it work, during that time, you can be hit with so many complications. I live at the far side of nowhere, and emergency help for this sort of thing is hours away. I still want to go for it, however, the wind in my sails has deflated.

Maybe after my friend has gone through this, it will renew my faith in my decision to have WLS. I wish her all the luck in the world. She is going through a tough time, she needs something to go her way.

I have big plans for after the surgery. A lot of walking (or running) type of plans. I want to participate in marathons, or charity walking events. I have every intention of making it work for me, and my family.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa, Thankyou for your post, I just wanted to apologise to you, I am sorry in my comments if it sounded like I was specifically asking you about your weight, I didn't mean to ask you such a personal question, and I certainly don't expect you to tell me what you weigh! (I could never tell my weight, I have been married for 4 years and my husband has no idea what I weigh and I don't think you could pay me enough money to tell!) I was more interested in how you were with the whole thing. I certainly don't want to sway you, and I know that you have done a lot of research, but if you are feeling hesitant about WLS it is for good reason, (don't ignore your gut instinct) it is a major operation and I worry about the side effects and complications of such a major operation for you. Are you able to pursue gastric banding? In Australia this is now 95% of surgery instead the other method, it is a less risky and has alot less side effects, particularly as it is keyhole surgery. If you can't get this done in the US, maybe you could come to Australia and get this done, (you are welcome to stay with me!) I don't mean to be presumptuous as maybe you can't have this type of surgery but I don't want you to have to settle for something (that scares and worries you) when there is maybe a more suitable option. I hope I dont sound like a 'know-all' but I do want to support you where I can, J

Sunday, April 29, 2007 4:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home